Parent Teacher Association – What we do
As a dedicated group of parents, we are committed to offering support to staff and students in a variety of ways to ensure that our children have opportunities within the school and community. We offer community building events, classroom programs, school wide assemblies and financial support and assistance for continuing education for teachers. At our monthly meetings, we come together to plan and implement our vision and goals. In recent years we were excited to sponsor the fall dance, zoo outreach, silent auction, after school enrichment, a free book to each student (RIF), field trips, chrome books for all students in 2nd grade – 5th grade, and promethean boards for all grades Kindergarten – 5th.
How to get involved
- Join PTA – click here or contact PTA – email@example.com.
- Make a tax deductible donation – Donate online HERE or drop a check by the office anytime. Money makes a difference. A financial commitment to our children helps them succeed. If every parent committed to just $5 a month, we would raise over $10,000 to support our children’s education this year!
- Auction – The McKinley-Thatcher auction is a vital part of the school’s annual fundraising efforts. In the past it has allowed us to update our library, provide technology upgrades, subsidize after-school enrichment programs, provide Denver Zoo programs, and fund many other things that cannot be funded through the school budgets alone.
- Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) – Historically, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) was a federally funded and monitored book distribution program. McKinley-Thatcher PTA continues this tradition by offering 2-3 RIF distributions annually. Each student receives a free book of their choice.
- Restaurant Nights – Eat out and make money for the school! A percentage of the meal is donated back to McKinley-Thatcher. And it’s our chance to support area restaurants. There are restaurant nights at different neighborhood restaurants throughout the year. And, every Monday Night eat dinner at Adelitas, mention McKinley-Thatcher, and the school gets 10% of the money from your food purchase. So the next time you, your neighbors, or your friends have a case of the Mondays head down to Adelitas for dinner and have the satisfaction of knowing you are helping the school. Adelitas is located at 1294 S. Broadway. (Only 4 blocks west of the school.) When you go, don’t forget to tell your wait person to donate 10% to McKinley-Thatcher.
- Grocery Shop – Use a McKinley-Thatcher Safeway or King Soopers reloadable grocery gift card when you shop and 5% goes back to the school. Cards are available at the front desk. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
- AMAZON SMILE – AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to McKinley-Thatcher PTA. Click here for a flyer with the easy steps to set this up and a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- ENRICHMENT – A wide variety of after school activities targeted towards Kindergarten – 5th graders take place at the school after school lets out for 6 or more weeks at a time. These activities occur in the fall, winter, and spring. Enrichment activities are Monday-Thursday afternoons and have included Overtime Athletics, Sticky Fingers Cooking, Science Matters, Bricks4Kidz, Zumba for Kids, and Spanish Club.
- DU SPORTS FUNDRAISERS – McKinley-Thatcher families and friends join together for a fun activity of watching the University of Denver hockey, basketball, and lacrosse teams. Tickets are the regular price, with at least $3 per ticket going to the McKinley-Thatcher PTA. Flyers are sent home with Friday folders as the dates for each game get near.
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIRS – An opportunity to purchase books for your child at a reduced rate with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the school library. These usually take place twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. The spring book fair is typically a buy one get one free.
- Sarah Clark, President
- Barb Silverstein, Vice President
- Jason Kopecky, Secretary
- Scott Lawrence, Treasurer
PTA meetings are the 2nd Thursday of the month – 6:15pm-7:30pm in the school library – free childcare in the gym. Check our school calendar for specific dates.
PTA Meeting Notes