What We Do
As a dedicated group of parents, we are committed to offering support to staff and students in a variety of ways to ensure that our children have opportunities within the school and community. We offer community-building events, classroom programs, school-wide assemblies, and financial support for teachers’ continuing education. At our monthly meetings, we come together to plan and implement our vision and goals. In recent years, we’ve sponsored the fall dance, zoo outreach, silent auction, afterschool enrichment program, free book giveaways to each student, field trips, Chromebooks for all students in 2nd grade – 5th grade, and Promethean boards for all grades, kindergarten – 5th.
PTA also runs some treasured school events and activities
- The McKinley-Thatcher school auction is a vital part of our annual fundraising efforts. Past money raised has updated our library, provided technology upgrades, subsidized afterschool enrichment programs, provided Denver Zoo classroom programs, and supported many other things that cannot be funded through the school budget alone.
- Historically, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) was a federally funded book distribution program. The McKinley-Thatcher PTA continues this tradition by offering two RIF distributions annually. Each student receives a free book of their choice to take home!
- McKinley-Thatcher families and friends join together to watch the University of Denver hockey, basketball, and lacrosse games in our DU sports fundraisers. Tickets are regular price with at least $3/ticket donated our PTA. Keep your eye out for information in Friday folders about the next game!
- Visit our Scholastic book fairs to buy low-cost books for your child with a portion of the proceeds benefiting the school library. Book fairs take place twice a year — a full-price fair autumn and a buy one, get one free (BOGO) fair in spring.
How you can get involved
- Join our PTA or contact us at email@example.com.
- Make a tax deductible donation online or drop a check by the front office anytime. Money makes a difference — a financial commitment to our children helps them succeed. If every family committed to just $5 a month, we would raise over $10,000 to support our children’s education this year!
- Eat out and make money for our school at our monthly restaurant nights! A percentage of the cost of your meal is donated back to McKinley-Thatcher, and it’s our chance to support our neighborhood restaurants. Check our school calendar for upcoming dates.
- AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at AmazonSmile, you’ll find the exact same low prices as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to our PTA! Get setup information and answers to FAQs here.
- Martinizing Green Cleaning offers home-delivery dry-cleaning services that make money for our school — check out the details!
- Use a McKinley-Thatcher Sprouts gift card when you shop and 5% is donated back to our school. Cards available in our front office. If you have questions, check out this additional information.
- Use a McKinley-Thatcher Safeway or King Soopers reloadable grocery gift card when you shop and 5% is donated back to our school. Cards are available in the front office. If you have questions, check out this additional information.
- Sign up for Pearl Wine Company‘s School Rewards Program — simply complete this sign-up form and take it to Pearl Wine CO (1886 S. Pearl St.).
- Visit Dos Luces Brewery (1236 S. Broadway) on Tuesdays night and mention McKinley-Thatcher when you pay to have a portion of your check donated back to us! Check out the details!
- Eat out at Adelitas Cocina y Cantina on the first Monday of the month — remember to mention McKinley-Thatcher to your server!
- Collect your Box Tops for Education and bring them to the main office any time.
2018-2019 PTA Officers
- Barb Silverstein, President
- Stephen Kozicki, Vice President
- Jason Kopecky, Secretary
- Scott Lawrence, Treasurer
PTA meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm-7:45pm in the school library, and there’s free childcare in the gym! Check our school calendar for specific dates.
PTA Meeting Minutes