McKinley-Thatcher Winter Weather Policy
- Arrival: earliest arrival time remains at 7:30am. McKinley is an early-start school, so even when the rest of DPS is on “late start,” we maintain our regular daily schedule. Students can enter the building and go to breakfast in the cafeteria or be supervised in the gym. They will be walked to class after first bell rings at 7:55 am.
- Recess: When it is 20 degrees or lower, we will have indoor recess in our gym.
- Winter gear: Please dress your child in warm winter gear, as we only call indoor recess when it is extremely cold. Otherwise, you can assume your child will be outside playing in the fresh air! They will need coats, gloves, hats and any other outdoor winter clothing you see fit.
DPS Closure Information
The decision to keep schools open or to close them during winter weather conditions is not a simple one, but it is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of our students, their families and staff. It is a good idea to decide in advance how to best keep up with the changes, what childcare arrangements are needed, and how to adjust if schools are closed due to inclement weather.
- If the decision is made to close school, the DPS Communications Office will immediately notify local television and radio stations, which will broadcast regular announcements of school closures or delays. Information is also available at DenverChannel.com, 9News.com, KDVR.com and denver.cbslocal.com. Notifications in Spanish will be made on radio newscasts on 1150 AM, 1280 AM and 1090 AM.
- Emergency school closures will be posted on the district’s homepage, Weather at DPSK12.org, the district’s Facebook page, and Twitter.
- School bus delays and information is posted on the DPS Transportation Facebook page and Twitter.
- A message about the closure or late start will be on the district’s closure hotline at (720) 423-3200 and the DPS Transportation hotline at (720) 423-4699.