McKinley-Thatcher Winter Weather Policy
- Arrival: Arrival time remains at 7:30 am. McT is an early start school, so even when the rest of DPS is on “late start,” we maintain our regular daily schedule. Students can enter the building and go to breakfast in the cafeteria or be supervised in the gym. They will be walked to class after first bell rings at 7:55 am.
- Recess: When it is 20 degrees or lower, we will have indoor recess inside the Gym.
- Winter Gear: Please dress your child in warm winter gear, as we only call indoor recess when it is extremely cold. Otherwise, you can assume your child will be outside playing in the fresh air! They will need coats, gloves, hats and any other outdoor winter clothing you see fit.
DPS Winter Weather Information
- The decision to keep schools open or to close them during winter weather conditions is not a simple one, but it is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of our students, their families and staff. It is a good idea to decide in advance how to best keep up with the changes, what childcare arrangements are needed, and how to adjust if schools are closed due to inclement weather.
DPS Closure Information
- If the decision is made to close school, the DPS Communications Office will immediately notify local television and radio stations, which will broadcast regular announcements of school closures or delays. Information is also available at DenverChannel.com, 9News.com, KDVR.com and denver.cbslocal.com. Notifications in Spanish will be made on radio newscasts on 1150 AM, 1280 AM and 1090 AM.
- Emergency school closures will be posted on the district’s homepage and on weather.dpsk12.org.
- Announcements to close school will also be posted to the district’s Facebook (@DenverPublicSchools) and Twitter (@DPSNewsNow) pages.
- School bus delays and information is posted on the DPS Transportation Facebook (@DPStransportation) and Twitter (@DPSschoolbus) pages.
- A message denoting the closure or late start will also be left on the school district’s closure hotline at 720.423.3200, as well on the DPS Transportation hotline at 720.423.4699.
- DPS employees should check their e-mails regularly for special announcements regarding the closure of school.