Annual School Events
At McKinley-Thatcher, we provide lots of fun activities and events throughout the year for our students and families! Check out traditional annual events below and see our calendar for current events.
Our traditional events
- Back to school Open House — a chance for families to meet each other and their new teachers, and to catch up with friends after summer break.
- First day of school celebration — enjoy the first day of school with snacks, music, & fun on our playground! PTA even provides coffee & breakfast rolls for grown-ups!
- Back to School Night — teachers share classroom expectations and curriculum information with families. We ask that children do not attend so that parents/guardians can fully engage.
- Student Recognition Assemblies — we celebrate the students who exemplify our school values on the last Friday of the month. Families are welcome to attend!
- Fall dance — PTA-sponsored free family dance with photo booth fun, dance music, disco ball, desserts, and community building.
- Thanksgiving Feast — families join their students to share a traditional Thanksgiving meal in our cafeteria during the week before Thanksgiving break.
- Scholastic book fairs — we hold two book fairs each year and they’re a great place to get low-cost books (and a portion of the proceeds benefit our school library)!
- Chili Cook-Off — a free community event that’s a favorite annual tradition. Bring your best chili to be judged by firefighters from our local firehouse!
- School auction — our annual auction is a vital part of our fundraising efforts and a great chance to party with our friends.
- Teacher Appreciation Week — families express their gratitude to our teachers in different ways throughout this nationwide week.
- Field Day — a school-wide day of outdoor fun, games, and a barbecue lunch!
Other events & activities
- PTA meetings — monthly meeting for families and staff to meet in-person to discuss teacher and staff needs, check in on the PTA budget, and to plan and coordinate events.
- CSC meetings — monthly meeting where members provide strategic direction in support of our school’s mission and vision as stated in our Unified Improvement Plan (UIP).
- Enrichments — we offer wide variety of afterschool activities, including classes such as yoga, drama, Spanish Club, Sticky Fingers Cooking, and Science Matters.
- Parent/teacher conferences — meet with your child’s teacher in the fall to review their academic progress. Additional conferences may be scheduled in the spring.
- Restaurant nights — on McKinley-Thatcher restaurant nights, a percentage of your meal’s price is donated back to us and it’s a great chance to support our local restaurants!
- Assemblies — thanks to PTA funding, we hold 1-3 school-wide assemblies every year. Past assemblies include theatrical performances, ballet, and more.
- Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) — our PTA offers two RIF book distributions annually. Each student in our school receives a free book of their choice!
- DU Sports Fundraisers — watch University of Denver hockey, basketball, and lacrosse games. Tickets are regular price with at least $3/ticket donated back to our PTA.