McKinley Elementary, built in 1911, stood at the corner of South Logan Street and East Louisiana Avenue. Thatcher Elementary still stands at the corner of South Grant Street and East Colorado Avenue. McKinley Elementary was demolished in the mid 1970s and Thatcher Elementary was closed. The new school was built in 1976-1977 and the names of the two schools combined to make McKinley-Thatcher Elementary School. The former Thatcher Elementary was converted into apartments.