News from the Nest — December 18, 2020
Posted December 18, 2020
¡Haga clic aquí para leer en español!
Vol. 5, No. 16
A Message From Our PTA: THANK YOU!
Wow, our auction was a wonderful success this year — we are so grateful for all of your support! And most importantly, our students are grateful — hear them for yourself in our thank-you video!
We are so close to our fundraising goal! Can you help us get there? In-person, we would have done a paddle raiser, so we’re asking you now: can you make a donation to support ALL McKinley-Thatcher students? Every gift helps! AND, there are a few last-chance items that will be going up this weekend, so keep an eye on the site!
We know this has been an incredibly difficult year for so many of us. No matter what, we know that together we grow, and together we support McT. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Coming Soon: FREE Virtual Enrichment Activities for ECE — 2nd Graders
Thanks to the generosity of our school sponsors, our PTA is excited to offer our ECE through 2nd grade families access to free, virtual enrichment activities through a wonderful organization called Celebrate the Beat (CTB). Celebrate the Beat is a nonprofit that provides the highest quality in-school, after-school and virtual dance programs for all children that improve their physical health and well-being, inspire them to believe in themselves, and establish a standard of excellence that impacts all aspects of their lives.
Through our partnership with Celebrate the Beat, McKinley-Thatcher’s ECE through 2nd grade families can sign up to participate in CTB’s virtual program for early learners, 10 weeks of at-home virtual enrichment activities featuring dance, yoga, music, & more! Activities are shared weekly as follow-along lessons on YouTube and are available to McKinley families from January 25, 2021 to April 10, 2021.
Want More Info?
Watch this sneak peek of the program, check out CTB’s other work here, or call McKinley at 720-424-5605.
ECE — 2nd grade families may register by completing the form. Our registration deadline is Friday, January 15, 2021.
- We’d like to take a moment to acknowledge the generosity of the many people who were able to donate to our Adopt-a-Family holiday assistance program. Your care for our community means we have the privilege of supporting over 25 families during winter break. Thank you!
- Our school nurse, Jen Iltis, now has a “virtual office” to help answer some of our families’ most frequently asked questions! Check it out for information on FREE health care for all DPS students through our School-Based Health Centers, DPS medication forms, and much more!
- Doing any last-minute holiday shopping on Amazon? Set up AmazonSmile and have a portion of your purchases donated back to McKinley at no extra cost to you!
- Just a reminder: our winter break runs from Monday, December 21 to Monday, January 4. School resumes on Tuesday, January 5! Read our other return-to-school info in our December Principal’s Update.
- Our Family & Community Engagement Office is hosting FREE virtual English classes for family members starting in January 2021!
- View the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 12/21/20 to Mon., 1/4/21 – NO SCHOOL: Winter Break
- Tues., 1/5 – SCHOOL RESUMES (remote learning for all students)
- Mon., 1/11 – In-Person Learning BEGINS for ECE-5th grade (remote learning continues for 100% remote families)
- Mon., 1/11 – McKinley Monday @ Divino
- Tues., 1/12 – January Birdcall Restaurant Night
- Thurs., 1/14 – January PTA meeting on Zoom, 7 p.m.
- Fri., 1/15 – ECE & 5th grade families: SchoolChoice Round 1 BEGINS.
- Fri., 1/15 – ECE-2nd grade families: DEADLINE to register for Celebrate the Beat enrichment.