News from the Nest — October 22, 2021
Posted October 22, 2021
Vol. 6, No. 9
TOMORROW: McKinley Fishing Day @ Wash Park!
Join Mr. J (our PE teacher) and Denver Parks & Rec rangers tomorrow, Saturday, October 23 at 11:00am for our annual McKinley Fishing Day at Wash Park! We’re meeting on the north side of Smith Lake for a fun day of getting outside to enjoy some fishing, the Colorado weather, physical activity, and the McKinley-Thatcher community! Kids receive a free fishing pole to keep!
Remember to dress for the weather and to bring a snack and water. Families can stay for as long as they’d like! Check out our flyer here for more information.
Our Halloween Celebration Is Friday, October 29
We are excited to hold our school Halloween Celebration on Friday, October 29! Families can see our Halloween flyer here (or here in Arabic) or in Friday Folders.
- 7:30am – Students arrive to school in costumes.
- 7:45am – Costume Parade on the field for families!
- 8:00am – Classroom Parties for students ONLY!
- Due to DPS health policies, families are not able to join us in the building.
- No full face masks
- No fake blood or gore
- No weapons
- Students MUST wear their regular COVID mask with their costumes.
If you donate food for your child’s classroom party, please remember that it MUST BE store-bought and COMPLETELY NUT-FREE.
If You Prefer Your Child Not Participate
Families may call our main office at (720) 424-5600 if they prefer their children not participate in our Halloween celebration. We’ll have an alternative activity for any students who opt out!
Share Your Voice:
Healthy Start Times Virtual Community Events
To help support the health and well-being of high school and middle school students, the DPS Board of Education has voted to move to later start times for all middle and high schools for the 2023-24 school year. This initiative means middle and high schools will start their day at 8:20am or later, and elementary students will start their day earlier. Please join DPS for one of the upcoming virtual community events to provide feedback, ask questions, and learn more about why Healthy Start Times will help our Denver students thrive!
Virtual Community Events
For more information and event links, and to register, please visit HealthyStartTimes.dpsk12.org or call (720) 423-3054.
In Other News…
- REMINDER: DPS is providing free vision, hearing, and dental screenings to all our students on Thursday, October 27! The screenings are not an assessment or evaluation, but they do help identify students who may be at risk for health concerns. If you do not want your student to participate in our screenings, please contact our school nurse, Jennifer Iltis, at Jennifer_Iltis@dpsk12.org or (720) 424-5606.
- News from our PTA:
- LAST CHANCE: if you’d like to have your family’s information included in our PTA Contact Book for your classroom, please complete this Google form by 5:00pm tomorrow, October 23. Contact Books will be sent out digitally to families on Sunday, October 24!
- A reminder to save the date for our exciting Blue Ribbon Award Celebration on Saturday, November 13! We’ll have all kinds of games and tons of bounce fun, tasty food, and special events to celebrate our 2021 National Blue Ribbon Schools award!
- A thank-you to everyone who joined in Restaurant Day at Sexy Pizza this week! Please save the date for our Birdcall Restaurant Night on November 16.
- Just a reminder that our community has some great resources for families:
- Our local Knights of Columbus group is running their traditional program to provide new winter coats for children in need. If you’d like to receive a new winter coat for your children (ages 4 to 6), please email Ingrid_Hoff@dpsk12.org or call (720) 424-5605!
- Free COVID Rapid Tests Available for Home Delivery: the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment recently announced the Rapid-At-Home program! Families can sign up to receive free rapid antigen tests shipped directly to their homes. Please know that these rapid tests are intended for ongoing screening at home only. If your student is sick and needs a COVID test to return to school, they must receive a PCR test at COVIDCheckColorado or your primary care physician.
- Qualifying families can sign up with Colorado Food Cluster to receive FREE weekly food deliveries!
- If you or someone you know needs help paying their energy bill, Energy Outreach Colorado may be able to help! You may qualify to receive up to $1,000 towards past due utility payments. Check out this flyer to sign up!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Sat., 10/23 — McKinley Fishing Day @ Wash Park, 11:00am, north side of Smith Lake
- Weds., 10/27 — DPS Health Screenings for all students
- Fri., 10/29 — Halloween celebration, 7:30am
- Fri., 10/29 — October Student Recognition Assembly, 8:45am on Google Meet
- Mon., 11/1 — Creede Repertory Theatre in-school performance for 3rd-5th, 9:00am
- Mon., 11/1 — Creede Repertory Theatre in-school performance for ECE & K, 1:20pm
- Tues., 11/2 — Creede Repertory Theatre in-school performance for 1st & 2nd, 9:00am
- Tues., 11/2 — 3rd & 4th grade in-school SPREE “field trip”