News from the Nest — May 27, 2022
Posted May 27, 2022
Vol. 6, No. 36
Please Plan Ahead for Our Last Day of School!
Our ECE students’ last day of school is a full day on Wednesday, June 1! Our LAST DAY OF SCHOOL for kindergarten through 5th grade students is a half-day on Friday, June 3. Dismissal will be at 12:00pm this day and students will eat lunch before leaving, so please plan accordingly for pick-up!
Summer Reading Resources from Our School Librarian!
Over the last couple of weeks, our students in 2nd through 5th grade have gotten a refresher course on using Sora, Denver Public Schools’ ebook and audiobook library! DPS students of all ages are invited to participate in the “Summer of Sora” reading program, organized by DPS Library Services. We’ve also got a fun Bingo activity for students to complete here. Families can also visit our school library online at lion.dpsk12.org for other reading resources!
And, don’t forget that Denver Public Libraries are running their annual “Summer of Adventure” reading program, too!
Reminder From Nurse Jen: It’s Time for Medication Pick-Up!
It is that time of year again! All student medications must go! If you have any medication for your student at school, please plan on picking it up no later than 2:00pm on Friday, June 3. To pick up medications, ring our front doorbell and a staff member will meet you to sign them out. Colorado’s state guidelines state that medications are not permitted to be sent home with your child. Any medication not picked up by 2:00pm on June 3 will be destroyed per DPS policy.
For questions or concerns, please contact our school nurse at (720) 424-5606. Thank you!
In Other News…
- REMINDER: sign up here if you’d like your child to bring home their school Chromebook and charger for summer use! This is optional for kindergarten through 4th graders, but is required for all students enrolled in the Summer Connections program and for all 5th graders who are continuing to a DPS middle school next year!
- In case you missed it: read our May 25 Principal’s Update, which includes news about our school auction, some staffing updates, information for next school year, and more!
- Mark your calendars: we have NO SCHOOL on Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day.
- Don’t forget that our PTA’s End-of-Year celebration is now Tuesday, May 31! Families are invited to join PTA for their final “meeting” of the year – a low-key social happy hour & brief meeting to gather your input on how this year went and plans for going forward! Come by Platt Park on Tuesday, May 31 at 5:00pm to enjoy snacks and drinks, as well as some grown-up beverages! Feel free to bring food and drinks of your own. Kids are welcome!
- Our Discovery Link (DL) program is offering AFTER-school care next year for ECE-5th grade students. Afternoon care will operate from 2:30pm to 6:00pm. DL is also hoping to offer BEFORE-school care FOR K-5th GRADE ONLY (not ECE) from 6:30am to 7:30am, but will only be able to do so if we have 15 or more children signed up. For more information, and to register, please visit the Discovery Link website.
- Looking for FREE medical care for your DPS students over the summer? Denver Health’s School-Based Health Centers (SBHC) will remain open at select locations during the break. Remember, SBHC services are offered at NO COST to all Denver Public Schools students! Click here to see their summertime information.
- Our school health office is fully stocked with rapid COVID tests. If your family is in need of some FREE testing kits, please call us at (720) 424-5600 or stop by our front door!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 5/30 – NO SCHOOL: Memorial Day
- Tues., 5/31 – PTA’s End-of-Year celebration, 5:00pm, Platt Park
- Weds., 6/1 – ECE ONLY: Last Day of School!
- Weds., 6/1 – ECE Graduation & End-of-Year Celebration, 10:30am in our gym
- Weds., 6/1 – 5th Grade Continuation, 4:00pm in our cafeteria
- Thurs., 6/2 – ECE ONLY: No School!
- Thurs., 6/2 – annual Staff vs. 5th Grade Kickball Game (students ONLY!), 1:15pm
- Fri., 6/3 – ECE ONLY: No School!
- Fri., 6/3 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL, half-day with dismissal at 12:00pm
- Fri., 6/3 – End-of-Year Student Recognition Assembly, 7:45am (students ONLY!)
- Fri., 6/3 – Kindergarten End-of-Year Picnic, 11:00am-11:45am