News from the Nest — October 21, 2022
Posted October 21, 2022
Vol. 7, No. 9
In Case You Missed It: October Principal’s Update
It’s hard to believe that we’re wrapping up the 9th week of this school year already! Like they say, time flies when you’re having fun! It’s been a joyful whirlwind of field trips and rocket launches, reading rigorous texts and solving challenging math problems – and we’re loving every minute of it! Thank you so much for sharing your children with us. It’s an honor and privilege to spend every day with them!
Read the full update here!
School Halloween Celebration: Monday, October 31!
We are excited to host our school Halloween celebration on the morning of Monday, October 31!
ECE Halloween Plans
ECE classrooms will participate in our 7:45am costume parade but will have different Halloween plans after that. Please read this flyer or check with your child’s teacher for more information.
K-5th Grade Celebration: Monday, October 31
- 7:45am: Costume Parade for FAMILIES on our field.
- Families are welcome to join us on our field at 7:45am for a costume parade around our track!
- Students should wear their costumes to school and arrive by 7:30am in order to participate in our costume parade.
- 8:00am: Classroom Parties for STUDENTS ONLY in classrooms.
- Students will enjoy a morning Halloween party with crafts and snacks.
- Look for information from your teacher for ways to help out!
- Due to space limitations, our classroom parties are for students ONLY.
- Costume Plans
- 1st-5th graders will change out of their costumes, so please send a change of clothes.
- Kindergarten will stay in their costumes all day, so please plan ahead to ensure your child is comfortable.
- Halloween costumes must be school-appropriate and may not have fake blood/gore or weapons.
- Face masks may only be worn during our parade.
Don’t Celebrate Halloween?
If you prefer that your child does not participate in our Halloween celebration, we will have an alternative activity available in the library. Please submit this online form or return the paper form that went home in today’s Friday Folders in order to have your child participate in the alternative activity.
Submit Your Information for the PTA Contact Books!
The McKinley-Thatcher PTA creates annual Contact Books for each classroom to help families schedule playdates, birthday parties, and other events. Each contact book is shared only with families in the same classroom. If you’d like to have your contact information included in the contact book for your student’s class, please complete the Contact Book Information form that went home in today’s Friday Folders. Please return your form to the office by Monday, November 7.
If you prefer to submit your information digitally, please see the instructions on the bottom of our form.
In Other News!
- In case you missed it, click here to read the meeting minutes and notes from our PTA’s October 6 meeting!
- All DPS families are invited to attend the DPS School Safety Resource Fair on Tuesday, October 25 from 5:00pm to 6:30pm at Manual High School! Attendees will learn about DPS district policies regarding safety; how to talk to our children about school violence; how to access appropriate resources for people who have experienced trauma; and accessing more resources regarding safety. Please RSVP by clicking here!
Information in other languages: Spanish: click here; Arabic: click here; Vietnamese: click here!
- Fundraise for McKinley-Thatcher while supporting a neighborhood business and enjoying some great wine at the same time! Pearl Wine Company (PWC), a South Pearl St. staple, is hosting their annual anniversary wine tasting on Saturday, November 12 from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. 100% of the proceeds from each tasting ticket purchased through our special McKinley-Thatcher link come back to our school. Visit PWC’s website for more information and to buy a ticket to support McKinley!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 10/24 – 3rd Grade Field Trip: Balarat Outdoor Education Center
- Tues., 10/15 – DPS School Safety Resource Fair, 5:00pm-6:30pm @ Manual HS
- Wed., 10/26 – Multilingual Education Districtwide Advisory Committee Meeting, 5:00pm-7:00pm @ Manual HS
- Fri., 10/28 – Monthly School Value Assembly, 7:45am-8:15am
- Fri., 10/28 – Picture Retake Day, 4:00pm-5:00pm @ the front of our building (registration REQUIRED!)
- Mon., 10/31 – School Halloween Celebration, 7:45am
- Thurs., 11/3 – Monthly PTA Meeting, 7:30am on our playground
- Fri., 11/4 – Free Book Friday, 2:30pm on our playground