News from the Nest — December 9, 2022
Posted December 9, 2022
Vol. 7, No. 15
In Case You Missed It: 12/6/22 RSV Illness Guidance
In case you missed our update from earlier this week, Denver Public Schools is working with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) to help control the spread of Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV).
To support the health of our community and decrease the burden on our local hospitals, DPS is following these recommendations by the CDPHE:
- Students with a positive RSV case remain home for 72 hours from the onset of their symptoms.
- Our youngest students (ages 4-5) remain home for 72 hours from the onset of any respiratory symptoms given their increased risk of hospitalization if they become ill.
- Students and staff are strongly encouraged to wear a mask if experiencing even mild respiratory symptoms.
To read the full update, including which respiratory symptoms to watch for, click here.
Community News: Denver Area Holiday Support
We are happy to share a list of holiday support resources available to families in and around the Denver metro area!
- 211 Colorado Holiday – 211 is an incredible resource families can use to identify holiday assistance available in their area of the state. Be sure to check out what is in your area, including food baskets, meals, toys/gifts, and even Christmas trees!
- Volunteers of America (Denver Metro Area) – visit the VoA website to find different areas of support, such as food and nutrition services, housing and emergency services, community support programs, and veterans’ services.
- Colorado National Guard Holiday Assistance – this program helps supply meals for Colorado National Guard Service Members and their families during the November and December holidays. No matter where you live or what deployment status you are in, you can register to receive meal assistance!
In Other News!
- Mark your calendars: we have NO SCHOOL from Monday, December 19 to Tuesday, January 3 for our Winter Break! Classes will resume on Wednesday, January 4, 2023!
- Monthly PTA donation subscription options now available: families can sign up to become a monthly donor to our PTA! Simply select the amount you feel comfortable giving monthly, then set it and forget it!
- Community news: Cub Scout Pack 5 of Denver is an active, gender-inclusive Cub Scout pack for kindergarten through fifth grade students in the southeast of the city. On Tuesday, December 13, they are hosting a Welcome Night for interested families with free pizza, activities, and an info session for grown-ups! For times and location, check out this flyer.
Upcoming School Events
- Tues., 12/13 – ECE-2nd Grade Field Trip: Randy Weeks Conservatory Theatre
- Tues., 12/13 – December CSC Meeting, 5:00pm ONLINE via Google Meet
- Fri., 12/16 – Monthly School Value Assembly, 7:45am
- Mon., 12/19 to Tues., 1/3 – NO SCHOOL: Winter Break
- Weds., 1/4 – Classes resume!
- Thurs., 1/5 – Monthly PTA General Meeting, 7:30am in our library
- Fri., 1/6 – Free Book Friday, 2:30pm (if we have good weather!)
Upcoming DPS & Community Events