News from the Nest — December 16, 2022
Posted December 16, 2022
Vol. 7, No. 16
NO SCHOOL from Mon., December 19 to Tues., January 3!
We have NO SCHOOL from Monday, December 19 to Tuesday, January 3 for our Winter Break! Classes will resume on Wednesday, January 4, 2023!
McKinley’s Annual Winter Reading Challenge!
Please join in our annual Winter Reading Challenge during Winter Break! Our challenge information is coming home in your child’s Friday Folder today. To complete the challenge, kids get to read in a lot of fun ways and in fun places in order to fill their cocoa cup with marshmallows! Kids should turn their completed cocoa cup papers into our office by Friday, January 6. All completed cocoa cups will be entered into a raffle for fun prizes during the week of January 9!
Denver Area Holiday Support
We are happy to share a list of holiday support resources available to families in and around the Denver metro area!
- Rocky Mountain Human Services (RMHS) Holiday Guide – RHMS has compiled a list of resources in the community for the holidays that will alleviate some of the stress of this time of year. In this guide, you will find various organizations providing food boxes, hot holiday meals, gift assistance, and more throughout the months of November and December.
- 211 Colorado Holiday – 211 is an incredible resource families can use to identify holiday assistance available in their area of the state. Be sure to check out what is in your area, including food baskets, meals, toys/gifts, and even Christmas trees!
- Volunteers of America (Denver Metro Area) – visit the VoA website to find different areas of support, such as food and nutrition services, housing and emergency services, community support programs, and veterans’ services.
In Other News!
- Apply for the Latino Education Advisory Council! The Latino Education Advisory Council (LEAC) is a group of Denver Public Schools community members who value and honor the richness and diversity that our Latino and Hispanic culture brings to the educational system in Denver Public Schools. We are DPS parents, grandparents, students, educators, community members, district employees, and other stakeholders who believe in diversity and equality for all students.
For more information about LEAC, click here.
Para obtener más información sobre LEAC, haga clic aquí.
To apply to serve on LEAC, click here.
Para solicitar servir en LEAC, haga clic aquí.
- If you or someone you know needs help paying their energy bill, DPS can help! Energy Outreach Colorado is partnering with DPS to offer families up to $2,000 towards past due utility payments! For more information and to see if you qualify, click here.
- Monthly PTA donation subscription options now available: families can sign up to become a monthly donor to our PTA! Simply select the amount you feel comfortable giving monthly, then set it and forget it!
- Learn to play basketball at DU – check out this flyer for DU’s winter dates and registration information!
Upcoming School Events
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 12/19 to Tues., 1/3 – NO SCHOOL: Winter Break
- Weds., 1/4 – Classes resume!
- Thurs., 1/5 – Monthly PTA General Meeting, 7:30am in our library
- Fri., 1/6 – Free Book Friday, 2:30pm (if we have good weather!)
- Fri., 1/6 – DEADLINE: Winter Reading Challenge papers DUE!
- Tues., 1/10 – January CSC Meeting, 5:00pm
Upcoming DPS & Community Events