News from the Nest — January 20, 2023
Posted January 20, 2023
Vol. 7, No. 19
Chili Cook-Off Is NEXT WEEK!
Just a reminder to RSVP for our January 27 Chili Cook-Off and to sign up to bring a chili, donate a cake, or help out with setup/takedown!
Chili Cook-Off Event Details
- Who: All members of the McKinley community!
- What: PTA’s Annual Chili Cook-Off
- Where: Our school cafeteria
- When: Friday, January 27, 2023; 5:30pm-7:00pm
- Why: Enjoy food & fun ($1 cake walk entries & other free activities) + enter your chili to win a prize!
RSVP using this form!
Sign Up to Bring a Chili, Donate to Our Cake Walk, Or Volunteer!
Sign up to bring a chili, donate a cake to our cake walk, or help with setup/takedown using this SignUpGenius!
For full event details, including our chili guidelines and info on donating to our cake walk, visit our website.
Families with Incoming ECE, Kindergarten, & 6th Grade Students:
Please Complete a SchoolChoice Application!
Round One of the 2023-2024 SchoolChoice Application Window is open now through Tuesday, February 14! Families with students who are entering ECE, kindergarten, or 6th grade next school year, please plan to complete a SchoolChoice application by 4:00pm on Tuesday, February 14. Visit schoolchoice.dpsk12.org to get started!
Just a reminder that families of current K-4th grade students do NOT need to complete a SchoolChoice application in order to return to McKinley-Thatcher next school year.
Families With Incoming ECE Students
Please note that there are important changes to the ECE SchoolChoice process this year due to the new Universal Preschool (UPK) program opening across our state. Visit our website to learn more!
Have Questions or Need Help?
In Other News!
- Just a reminder that our Collaborative School Committee (CSC) meets next Tuesday, January 24! Join us online on Google Meet at 5:00pm to weigh in on our school’s current and future priorities and to find out how you can advocate for our community! Check ClassDojo for our Google Meet link.
- Reminders from the main office:
- Attendance: if your student will be late to school or absent, please call our attendance line at (720) 424-5603 no later than 10:00am daily. Alerting your child’s teacher to an absence or tardy is helpful, but families still need to contact the front office or our attendance line to report the absence.
- Household Information Changes: if you’ve had an address, email, or phone number change recently, please contact Ms. Grace, our office manager, to make these updates to your student’s record. To contact Ms. Grace, please call (720) 424-5600 or email her at Graciela_Ayala@dpsk12.net.
To change an address in our student record system, we need a current proof of address document such as a lease agreement, utility bill, or mortgage statement. These can be submitted via email or in-person.
- Our January 24 Restaurant Day with Park Burger has been canceled and will be rescheduled later this semester.
Upcoming School Events
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 1/23 – FIRST DAY: Creative Dance, Little Vet School, & Movement Madness enrichments, 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Tues., 1/24 – FIRST DAY: Spanish, Chess Wizards, & Yoga Stars enrichments, 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Tues., 1/24 – CSC Meeting (online via Google Meet), 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Fri., 1/27 – Monthly School Value assembly, 7:45am-8:15am in our cafeteria
- Fri., 1/27 – PTA Chili Cook-Off, 5:30pm-7:00pm in our cafeteria
- Thurs., 2/2 – Monthly PTA Meeting @ 7:30am (right after drop-off!)
- Fri., 2/3 – Free Book Friday @ 2:30pm on our playground
Upcoming DPS & Community Events