News from the Nest — May 19, 2023
Posted May 19, 2023
Vol. 7, No. 35
Save-the-Date: PTA Last Day Celebration Is Friday, June 2!
Our PTA is excited to host their annual Last Day of School celebration on Friday, June 2!
- Who: all current and incoming McKinley families
- What: PTA Last Day of School Celebration
- When: Friday, June 2 (K-5th grade last day of school!)
- 12:00pm – school dismissal & popsicles with PTA on our playground.
- 12:30pm – pizza & family fun with PTA at Platt Park.
- Where: popsicles on our playground, then moving to Platt Park for the celebration.
- Why: to celebrate the last day of school and beginning of summer break!
We’ll share more information next week!
Buy One, Get One Free Book Fair Is NEXT WEEK!
We are so excited to host our spring Buy One, Get One Free book fair next week! The fair will be open in our library (accessible from the north exterior door that faces onto the library courtyard). Come visit to stock up for summer reading or buy your favorite staff member an end-of-year gift! Check out the book fair catalog in our May 19 Friday Folders for a sneak peek!
Book Fair Hours
- Friday, May 19 — 7:30am-11:00am (during Field Day!)
- Monday, May 22 — 2:30pm-4:30pm
- Tuesday, May 23 — 2:30pm-4:30pm
- Wednesday, May 24 — 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Thursday, May 25 — 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Friday, May 26 — 2:30pm-4:30pm
REMINDERS from Nurse Jen:
It’s Time for Medication Pick-Up + FREE Healthcare for DPS Students!
It is that time of year again! All student medications must go! If you have any medication for your student at school, please plan on picking it up no later than 1:00pm on Friday, June 2. To pick up medications, come to the front office and the school nurse will meet you to sign them out. Colorado’s state guidelines state that medications are not permitted to be sent home with your child. Any medication not picked up by 1:00pm on June 2 will be destroyed per DPS policy.
For questions or concerns, please contact Nurse Jen at Jennifer_Iltis@dpsk12.net or (720) 424-5606. Thank you!
Free Summer Healthcare for DPS Students
Denver Health’s School-Based Health Centers will continue to see DPS students and their siblings for free at certain locations during the summer. The clinics offer free medical and dental care provided by Denver Health Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. For more information, check out their summer flyer.
In Other News!
- REMINDER: K-5th grade families who would like to check out a Chromebook for their student over summer break must complete the opt-in form by 4:00pm today, Friday, May 19.
- REMINDER: we are working towards the goal of 95% attendance for all students during the month of May! There are 9 days of school left…ANY student who misses only 1 day of school (or 0 days) in May will participate in a DONUT PARTY on Wednesday, May 31. We can’t wait to see you at school every day this month!
- Mark your calendars!
- We have NO SCHOOL on Monday, May 29 in observance of Memorial Day.
- ECE ONLY: Last Day of School for ECE – Thursday, June 1 (half-day with dismissal after continuation)
- Last Day of School for K-5th Grade – Friday, June 2 (half-day with dismissal at 12:00pm)
- We have the following community news to share with our families!
- The 2023 University Hills Farmers Market runs each Saturday, 9:00am to 1:00pm, from May 13 to October 28! Visit them at the University Hills Plaza Shopping Center (2500 S. Colorado Blvd.) for produce, food, drink, flowers, wellness, crafts, & music!
Upcoming School Events
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Fri., 5/19 to Fri., 5/26 – Spring Buy One, Get One Free Book Fair
- Mon., 5/22 – LAST DAY of ECE Yoga & Movement Madness enrichments
- Tues., 5/23 – LAST DAY of Spanish, Chess, & K-5th Grade Yoga enrichments
- Weds., 5/24 – LAST DAY of Mad Science, Sticky Fingers, & Wilderness Medical School enrichments
- Weds., 5/24 – ESL Family Meeting, 7:30am-8:00am
- Fri., 5/26 – K-5th Grade Annual Talent Show, 1:00pm-2:15pm
- Mon., 5/29 – NO SCHOOL: Memorial Day
- Weds., 5/31 – May Attendance Donut Party
- Weds., 5/31 – 5th Grade Continuation, 4:00pm-5:45pm
- Thurs., 6/1 – ECE ONLY: Last Day of School (full day!)
- Thurs., 6/1 – ECE Continuation, 9:30am-11:00am
- Fri., 6/2 – ECE ONLY: No School
- Fri., 6/2 – K-5th Grade: Last Day of School (half-day with dismissal at 12:00pm!)
- Fri., 6/2 – End-of-Year School Assembly, 7:45am-8:45pm
- Fri., 6/2 – PTA Last Day Celebration, 12:00pm-2:00pm (more details coming soon!)
Upcoming DPS & Community Events