News from the Nest — March 4, 2022
Posted March 4, 2022
Vol. 6, No. 25
Support Our School Auction with a Donation!
The McKinley-Thatcher PTA relies on our annual auction event to raise money for critical educational initiatives, including funding for staff positions like our school librarian. This volunteer-run auction relies on parent and community support for all auction donations and full event execution. We thank you in advance for your generous donations of goods, services or cash, which will help us exceed our goal of $20,000 raised and ensure our students maintain full access to the books and resources that grow big dreams and inspire our next generation of leaders.
Can You Make a Donation?
If so, please fill out our Google form here or return the paper form that is in your child’s Friday Folder.
Have Questions or Need More Information?
Contact your auction co-chairs, Katie Millard and Liz Smith, at email@example.com with any questions.
Beginning Today: Modern Plate Meal Delivery Fundraiser!
Our PTA is partnering with Modern Plate Meal Delivery to host a two-week fundraiser for our school from today, Friday, March 4 through Monday, March 21. Modern Plate delivers family-style, chef-crafted meals right to your doorstep!
How to Participate
- Visit www.ModernPlate.com between now and March 21.
- Purchase the meal(s) of your choice and use code “MTE” at checkout.
- Meals will be delivered directly to your home or business.
- Our PTA will earn 10% back on all sales – including gift cards!
For more information, check out our fundraiser flyer here or on ClassDojo!
In Other News…
- During the month of March, we are celebrating our third school value, challenge yourself!
- Please click here to see our March 2022 school lunch menu!
- Mark your calendars: our March PTA meeting is at 7:30am on Tuesday, March 15 on our playground. We’ll have free coffee again, so be sure to bring your own cup!
- REMINDER: we have NO SCHOOL next Friday, March 11 for a McKinley Staff Planning Day! Please also mark your calendars for our spring break, which is Monday, March 28 to Monday, April 4 (classes will resume on Tuesday, April 5).
- K-4th Grade Families: a reminder to register for Summer Connections, the district’s FREE, full-day, 6-week summer program available for ALL 2022-2023 1st-5th grade students (this year’s current kindergarten to 4th graders)! Summer Connections combines literacy, math, and science for kids in hands-on enrichment experiences in STEM, Art, and Spark Career Exploration. For more information and to register, please visit the Summer Connections website here. Registration is open now through Friday, March 25!
- 3rd-5th Grade Families: registration for our spring season of Girls on the Run closes soon! If you are interested but haven’t yet registered your student, please do so this weekend to ensure they can attend the first day of practice on Monday, March 7. Visit our website for program details and registration!
- District Statement on Events in Ukraine: we are troubled by the news that Russia has invaded Ukraine, endangering the lives of countless civilians. We reaffirm our commitment to ensuring DPS is a Safe and Welcoming School District for all of our children and to fully supporting all of our students and families who have loved ones around the globe. We will ensure that counseling support is available for anyone who needs it, and our thoughts are with everyone affected by these tragic events.
All DPS schools have mental health providers (school social workers and school psychologists) and many also have counselors and other staff that will be available to support students and families with dealing with their thoughts around these events. Please reach out to your school to get connected to these supports. For help talking about these difficult events with your child, we also encourage you to review the National Association of School Psychologists’ guide for parents and caregivers.
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Fri., 3/4 to Mon., 3/21 – Modern Plate Meal Delivery Fundraiser
- Fri., 3/4 – Last day to register for Girls on the Run before our season begins.
- Mon., 3/7 – First Day: Girls on the Run practice, 2:30pm-3:45pm
- Fri., 3/11 – NO SCHOOL: McKinley Teacher Planning Day
- Tues., 3/15 – In-Person PTA Meeting, 7:30am on our playground (bring your own cup for free coffee!)
- Tues., 3/15 – 2nd Grade Field Trip: Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Wed., 3/16 – 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade Field Trip: Denver Zoo
- Fri., 3/18 – FINAL DAY to register for Girls on the Run.