News from the Nest — May 6, 2022
Posted May 6, 2022
Vol. 6, No. 33
News from PTA: Our Virtual Auction Is Open!
McKinley-Thatcher’s 2022 Virtual Auction is OPEN now through 7:00pm on Friday, May 13! Visit our auction website at ourschool.auction/McKinleyThatcher2022 to register as a bidder and check out all our different auction items and categories – there’s something for everyone!
- Vacation getaways in Aspen, Steamboat, Telluride, Scottsdale and more.
- Tickets to experiences such as Meow Wolf, Denver Art Museum, and local shows.
- A variety of gift certificates to local restaurants.
- Unique experiences: meet with an author, learn circus and dance, photography, private knitting lessons, and more.
- Many different Teacher Treasures from our beloved teachers and staff, such as a Rooftop Party and Principal for a Day, as well as some special new additions!
- Items: coffee, wine, snowboard setup, game pack, art and more.
Don’t Forget: Our In-Person Auction Celebration Is May 14!
Our “We Are All Together Now” auction celebration is coming up on Saturday, May 14! Join us from 10:30am to 1:30pm for bounce obstacle courses, a special student jump rope demonstration, student musical performances, food, & our special guest, DJ Cyn! For event information and to RSVP, visit our website.
Want to Help Make Our Celebration a Success?
Helping with some of the moving parts of the party makes it even more fun! We have some easy volunteer spots open here for our “We Are All Together Now” celebration. Please contact Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Fishing Day with Mr. J at Wash Park!
Fishing Day with Mr. J, our PE teacher, is tomorrow, Saturday, May 7 from 11:00am to 1:00pm at Wash Park! Join the McKinley-Thatcher community and Mr. J for fishing, biking, and scootering activities at Smith Lake (on the north side of Wash Park). Be sure to bring a water bottle and healthy snack. Families may also bring their own fishing poles, bikes, scooters, skateboards, footballs, etc. (Denver Parks & Rec will also have fishing poles for children to use, too!)
Our Buy One, Get One Free Book Fair Is Next Week!
The book fair will be open in our art room courtyard (accessible from the alley on the east side of the school). Come visit to stock up for summer reading or buy your favorite staff member an end-of-year gift! For a sneak peek, check out our digital book fair flyer here.
Book Fair Hours
- Wednesday, May 11 – 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Thursday, May 12 – 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Friday, May 13 – 2:30pm-4:00pm
- Saturday, May 14 – 10:30am-1:30pm at our “All Together Now” celebration!
Want to Get a FREE Book!?
Volunteer for one shift at the book fair and you’ll get to choose a free book! The book fair proceeds are used to purchase books for our RIF giveaway and to restock our school library.
In Other News…
- ECE-4th Grade Families: help us plan ahead for next school year by letting us know if your family will be returning to McKinley-Thatcher! If you are not returning, please tell us by returning the yellow form in today’s Friday Folders or by completing this Google form (you do not need to submit both versions). Getting this information ahead of time helps us fill empty spots and make sure our school budget is accurate. (5th grade families do not need to respond.) Thank you!
- PTA Save-the-Date: our PTA’s last meeting of the school year will be an End-of-Year celebration at Platt Park on Tuesday, May 24 at 5:00pm. Beverages & snacks are provided, so come hang out and have fun!
- Save-the-Date: Field Day for our kindergarten-5th grade is Friday, May 20 from 8:00am to 11:00am and families are invited! ECE will host their own ECE Field Day on Friday, May 27. We’ll share more information next week!
- REMINDER: our spring 2022 class picture galleries are ready! Visit bloomschoolpictures.com/mckinley to order class pictures and to place late orders of individual portraits. Families will need to enter an email address to begin ordering. Please note that, if you’d like to view your student’s individual portraits, you will need your student’s school ID number (visit studentidretrieval.dpsk12.org or call us at (720) 424-5600 if you don’t know your child’s ID number). Individual galleries for students who took spring make-up portraits can be found under “Spring 2022 Galleries,” while galleries for students who took portraits in fall can be found under “Past Galleries.”
- Share special photos for our yearbook! Did your child have a major accomplishment this school year that you’d like to recognize in our school yearbook? Send our PTA photos of your child with their name, award or accomplishment, and a short description, and we’ll try to recognize them in the yearbook! Please submit photos to email@example.com. (Please note that all students will have their school picture automatically included in our yearbook.)
- A special request from Ms. Geerdes: the week of May 23-27, we are hosting our annual end-of-year SURVIVOR game for our staff. We need your help providing prizes and treats each day. We have creative ideas and special privileges for many of the prizes, but we also need gift cards and small presents. If you would like to donate one, two, or a few, in any amount, please drop them off at the office by Wednesday, May 18. You may email e-gift cards to Sonia_Geerdes@dpsk12.net. (These are cards we will use as prizes for the Survivor game, so please don’t let this take away from anything you might normally do for your individual teachers.) Thank you for your support!
- Our school health office is fully stocked with rapid COVID tests. If your family is in need of some FREE testing kits, please call us at (720) 424-5600 or stop by our front door!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Fri., 5/6 – McKinley-Thatcher Virtual School Auction begins (ends 5/13)!
- Fri., 5/6 – RSVP deadline for Kindergarten Round-Up
- Fri., 5/6 – McKinley Cultural Festival (special day of learning for students ONLY)
- Sat., 5/7 – Fishing Day with Mr. J @ Wash Park, 11:00am-1:00pm
- Sat., 5/7 – McKinley Garden Bed Construction, 10:00am-2:00pm
- Mon., 5/9 – Kindergarten Round-Up for incoming kindergarten families, 1:30pm-2:30pm
- Weds., 5/11 to Sat., 5/14 – Buy One, Get One Free Book Fair
- Thurs., 5/12 – 1st Grade Field Trip: Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Fri., 5/13 – McKinley-Thatcher Virtual School Auction ENDS, 7:00pm!
- Sat., 5/14 – Girls on the Run: 5K Race Day
- Sat., 5/14 – “We Are All Together Now” Auction Celebration, 10:30am-1:30pm
- Weds., 5/18 – Girls on the Run: LAST DAY!
- Fri., 5/20 – K-5th Grade Field Day, 8:00am-11:00am