News from the Nest — May 20, 2022
Posted May 20, 2022
Vol. 6, No. 35
K-5th Grade Field Day Is Now Thursday, May 26
In case you missed the news earlier this week, our Kindergarten through 5th Grade Field Day has been moved to Thursday, May 26 from 8:00am to 11:00am. ECE’s Field Day is still planned for Friday, May 27.
Can You Help Make Field Day a Success?
We need lots of volunteers to have a great Field Day! If you’re interested in helping out, please email Mr. J, our PE teacher, at Ronald_Joutras@dpsk12.net. Thank you!
New this Summer: Students May Take Home School Chromebooks!
We are excited to share a new DPS program that allows all students in kindergarten through 12th grade to take their school Chromebooks and chargers home for the summer. DPS works hard to provide equal access to district resources and to allow students to continue learning and exploring both in school and during summer break.
How Does My Student Sign Up?
Families MUST agree to the DPS MyTech usage policies by completing our Google form below in order to participate in this program!
Please note that families of students who are enrolled in DPS’s Summer Connections program and all 5th grade students continuing in a DPS middle school must complete a consent form as these students are required to have their Chromebook for Summer Connections or for their new school.
Information in Other Languages
To read the DPS MyTech usage policies in Spanish, click here. Click here for Arabic.
When Is the Sign-Up Deadline?
Please complete the appropriate consent form above by no later than Thursday, May 26, 2022. Students with completed consent forms will take their Chromebook and charger home during the last week of school.
What Else Do I Need to Know?
Please note DPS is introducing a new fee structure that will be in place for next year as fees will be collected for lost or damaged devices. You can see more information about the fee structure here or in the consent forms above.
Celebrate the End of the School Year with PTA!
McKinley families are invited to join our PTA their final “meeting” of the year – a low-key social happy hour & brief meeting to gather your input on how this year went and plans for going forward! Come by Platt Park on Tuesday, May 24 at 5:00pm to enjoy leftover snacks and drinks from the party last Saturday, as well as some grown-up beverages! Feel free to bring food and drinks of your own. Kids are welcome!
In Other News…
- Families of our Talent Show performers are invited to join us for our show on Friday, May 27 from 1:00pm to 2:15pm in our cafeteria! (Due to space limitations, we aren’t able to invite other families – thank you for your understanding!)
- Our ECE students’ last day of school is a full day on Wednesday, June 1! Our LAST DAY OF SCHOOL for kindergarten through 5th grade students is a half-day on Friday, June 3. Dismissal will be at 12:00pm this day and students will eat lunch before leaving, so please plan accordingly!
- Mark your calendars: we have NO SCHOOL on Monday, May 30 in observance of Memorial Day.
- FREE summer healthcare for DPS students: DPS is proud to work with Denver Health to run our School-Based Health Centers, which offer no-cost pediatric medical and dental care to any DPS student or child that attends a DPS-affiliated Early Childhood Education center! Our SBHCs are open all summer in certain locations, so check out this flyer for more info in English and Spanish or visit the SBHC website to make an appointment!
- FREE summer program for DPS 5th-7th graders: Generation Teach STEAM Academy (GTSA) is a dynamic 5-week academic enrichment program running from June 21 to July 22 and open to DPS 5th-7th graders! Students learn, create, build, design, and grow together with caring teachers, as well as take classes in engineering, math, reading, and law, and participate in enrichment classes, field trips, and fun competitions! This program is 100% FREE to students & families. For more information in English, visit the GTSA website here. Click here for information in Arabic or here for information in Spanish!
- Our school health office is fully stocked with rapid COVID tests. If your family is in need of some FREE testing kits, please call us at (720) 424-5600 or stop by our front door!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Tues., 5/24 – PTA End-of-Year Celebration, 5:00pm @ Platt Park. Beverages & snacks provided!
- Thurs., 5/26 – RESCHEDULED: K-5th Grade Field Day, 8:00am-11:00am
- Thurs., 5/26 – Eagle Club: LAST DAY!
- Fri., 5/27 – ECE Field Day (ask your teacher for more details!)
- Fri., 5/27 – Talent Show, 1:00pm-2:15pm (for students & families of performers ONLY!)
- Mon., 5/30 – NO SCHOOL: Memorial Day
- Weds., 6/1 – ECE ONLY: Last Day of School!
- Weds., 6/1 – ECE Graduation & End-of-Year Celebration, 10:30am in our cafeteria
- Weds., 6/1 – 5th Grade Continuation, 4:00pm on our front sidewalk
- Thurs., 6/2 – ECE ONLY: No School!
- Thurs., 6/2 – annual Staff vs. 5th Grade Kickball Game (students ONLY!), 1:15pm
- Fri., 6/3 – ECE ONLY: No School!
- Fri., 6/3 – LAST DAY OF SCHOOL, half-day with dismissal at 12:00pm
- Fri., 6/3 – End-of-Year Student Recognition Assembly, 7:45am