News from the Nest — September 2, 2022
Posted September 2, 2022
Vol. 7, No. 2
NEXT WEEK: Back-to-School Night is Thursday, September 8!
All McKinley families are invited to join us for our annual Back-to-School Night event next Thursday, September 8! Back-to-School Night is the perfect opportunity to sit down with your child’s teachers to learn more about classroom rituals and routines, curriculum, and school policies. It’s also a great chance to ask questions!
We’ll be hosting two identical Back-to-School Night sessions. Families can attend the session that works best for their schedules and families with multiple kids have the chance to attend more than one.
- Back-to-School Night Session 1: Thursday, September 8, 5:00pm-5:40pm
- Back-to-School Night Session 2: Thursday, September 8, 5:45pm-6:30pm
We’re Offering Back-to-School Night Childcare!
To better support our families, we are offering free childcare during our Back-to-School Night event! Childcare will be provided by school staff in our library.
Back-to-School Night Childcare Policies
- Children must be a McKinley-Thatcher student (ECE-5th grade).
- Families must check their children in and out of childcare with the staff member on duty.
- Food is not provided; please plan to eat before you come or after you go home.
If you have any questions or need more information, please call our main office at (720) 424-5600, email us at McKinley_Thatcher@dpsk12.org, or stop by our front door!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS:
Student Picture Days are September 12 & 13!
We are excited to hold our Student Picture Days with Bloom School Pictures! Like last year, we are holding two picture days: one for ECE-4 through 1st grade and one for 2nd through 5th grade.
- Monday, September 12— Picture Day for ECE-4, Kindergarten & 1st Grade
- Tuesday, September 13 — Picture Day for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade
All of our students will be photographed during their Student Picture Day. There is no fee for students to participate and families have no obligation to order photographs!
For more information about our Pictures Days and to learn about how to order pictures through Bloom, visit our website here.
Current Community Resources
We are happy to share a few upcoming community events happening at DU and in DPS’s Community Hubs!
- DPS’s Community Hubs are offering several free classes in the coming months. Please click on the links below for more information about each class.
- The University of Denver’s Learn to Play Sports programs are offering youth basketball and soccer this fall, and scholarships are available! Check out the links below for more information.
In Other News!
- To our families who completed their Parent Portal registration online in August: we have processed all of our online registration applications and any changes that you made have been updated in your student’s school record. Please check take a moment to log into your Parent Portal account to make sure all the information you see is correct. If you see incorrect information or if you need to add additional emergency contacts, please email our office manager, Ms. Grace Ayala, at Graciela_Ayala@dpsk12.net. To add an emergency contact, we will need you to provide the person’s name, phone number, and relationship to your child.
- There’s still time to register for our fall after-school enrichment classes! Registration closes at 6:00pm on Tuesday, September 6, so visit our website soon to check out course options and sign up!
- Please click here to see our September lunch menu! Currently, the menu only goes through September 21, but we will post an updated version once we receive it.
- In case you missed it, check out our PTA’s most recent newsletter here! It’s got a great introduction to this year’s PTA board members and a save-the-date + RSVP for the upcoming McT Movie Night on Thursday, October 13!
- During the month of September, we’re celebrating our first school value: be kind and considerate!
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.