News from the Nest — February 24, 2023
Posted February 24, 2023
Vol. 7, No. 24
There’s Still Time to RSVP for SEL Night on March 7!
Our Social-Emotional Learning Night is focused on SEL specifically for parents and caregivers, with the goal of helping our families learn about a variety of important topics to best support their children at home and at school.
- WHO: all McKinley-Thatcher parents, guardians, & caregivers and their McKinley students.
- WHAT: a night of learning for adults on a wide variety of SEL-related topics.
- WHEN: Tuesday, March 7, 2023; 5:00pm-7:00pm
- WHERE: McKinley cafeteria & classroom spaces
- WHY: to help families learn about important topics related to parenting.
- HOW: come at 5:00pm to enjoy pizza & salad with your kids, then check your McKinley students in for free childcare provided by our school staff. Adults then choose two learning sessions to attend from our list (see below!). Each learning session is 40 minutes long and facilitated by a school staff member or DPS district expert.
For more information on our learning session topics, and to RSVP for SEL Night, please visit our website!
Request Interpretation for Our SEL Night Learning Sessions!
We are happy to provide interpretation services to our multilingual families! Families can request interpretation by filling out our Social-Emotional Learning Night RSVP form or by contacting Ms. Ingrid Hoff (she/her), our community liaison, on ClassDojo or by email to Ingrid_Hoff@dpsk12.net.
March PTA Meeting Is Next Week!
You’re invited to join our PTA’s general March meeting next Thursday, March 2 at 7:30am in our library! Come right after morning drop-off to hear about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities. Coffee will be provided — please bring your own cup, if possible! All visitors must enter through our front doors and check in with our main office.
In Other News!
- Registration for our spring after-school enrichments is open now through Tuesday, March 7! To see registration instructions and review our spring enrichment catalog, please visit the enrichment page on our website. For questions about enrichments or assistance with the registration process, please email Enrichment_ExtendedLearning@dpsk12.net.
- If you or someone you know needs help paying their energy bill, DPS can help! Energy Outreach Colorado is partnering with DPS to offer families up to $2,000 towards past due utility payments! For more information and to see if you qualify, click here.
- Just a reminder: our School Science Fair is next week on Monday, February 27 and Tuesday, February 28! Families are welcome to visit our fair after school on Monday, February 27 between 2:30pm and 3:30pm. Visitors to the fair should please check in at our main office! Students may not attend the fair alone and must be supervised by their families at all times. Thank you!
- Save-the-date: our Class Picture Day with Bloom School Pictures is Monday, March 13! Bloom will take group pictures of all our classes and their teachers. All picture ordering, including late orders of our fall students portraits, will take place online through Bloom’s website.
Upcoming School Events
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 2/27 & Tues., 2/28 – School Science Fair
- Mon., 2/27 – Science Fair projects DUE, 7:15am-7:45am
- Mon., 2/27 – Science Fair OPEN to families, 2:30pm-3:30pm
- Tues., 2/28 – 1st & 2nd Grade Field Trip: Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Tues., 2/28 – 3rd-5th Grade Field Trip: Colorado Symphony
- Thurs., 3/2 – March PTA Meeting, 7:30am in our library!
- Fri., 3/3 – Free Book Friday, 2:30pm on our playground
- Tues., 3/7 – Social-Emotional Learning Night, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Tues., 3/7 – Registration for Spring Enrichments CLOSES @ 10:00pm!
- Fri., 3/10 – NO SCHOOL: Teacher Planning Day
Upcoming DPS & Community Events