News from the Nest — December 2, 2022
Posted December 2, 2022
Vol. 7, No. 14
NEXT WEEK: December Food Drive!
We are so excited to hold our annual December Food Drive next week from Monday, December 5 to Friday, December 9. Our food drive directly supports school families who need food assistance over Winter Break!
What Can We Donate & Where Do We Drop It Off?
We are looking for donations of the following items:
- Canned goods (fruits, vegetables, beans, etc.)
- Shelf-stable goods (cereal, pasta, applesauce, etc.)
- $25 gift cards to Target & Walmart (preferred) or Safeway & King Soopers
- Please be sure to check expiration dates on all donated food items!
Food item donations can be dropped off in the donation box in your child’s classroom any day from December 5 to December 9!
Gift card donations can be dropped off in our main office.
I’d Like to Volunteer!
We need volunteers to help pick up food drive donations from each classroom every day next week. We also need volunteers to help organize and pack up donations for distribution on Monday, December 12. If you’d like to help out, please visit our SignUpGenius!
Where Do the Donations Go?
All donated food items and gift cards go to McKinley families in need of assistance over Winter Break. Leftover donations will be used to support families throughout the rest of the school year!
The Grade Level That Donates the Most Wins a Special Party!
The grade level that collects the most donations during the drive wins a special Ice Cream Sundae Party from our PTA! Our party will be held the week before Winter Break begins.
I Have Questions or Need More Information!
Please call our main office at (720) 424-5600 or email us at McKinley_Thatcher@dpsk12.org.
NEXT WEEK: Fall Book Fair!
Our Fall Book Fair is running from Monday, December 5 to Friday, December 9 after school in our library! Check out our fair’s digital catalog here! Our fair is a great opportunity to pick up holiday gifts and stock up on books for Winter Break, and every purchase benefits our school!
- Monday, December 5 – 2:30pm-4:00pm
- Tuesday, December 6 – 2:30pm-4:00pm
- Wednesday, December 7 – 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Thursday, December 8 – 2:30pm-6:00pm
- Friday, December 9 – 2:30pm-4:00pm
Book Fair eWallet & Online Fair Shopping
This year, say goodbye to cash and hello to eWallet, your child’s digital payment account! Before the fair, set up eWallet for worry-free, cash-free purchases. Anyone can contribute! Share each child’s eWallet so friends and family can add funds and give your kids more books to enjoy.
If you can’t make it to the Fair, then shop at our school’s Online Book Fair. All orders ship directly to your home, and shipping is free for book orders over $25. Your online orders will also benefit our school.
We Need Volunteers!
Volunteer for at least one shift at our fair and choose a book of your own to keep for FREE! Sign up to volunteer through our SignUpGenius here!
In Other News!
- Mark your calendars: we have NO SCHOOL from Monday, December 19 to Tuesday, January 3 for our Winter Break! Classes will resume on Wednesday, January 4, 2023!
- Please click here to see our December 2022 lunch menu!
- In case you missed them, check out our PTA’s November meeting notes and minutes here!
- Monthly PTA donation subscription options now available: families can sign up to become a monthly donor to our PTA! Simply select the amount you feel comfortable giving monthly, then set it and forget it.
- This month, we are celebrating our fourth school value, lead by example!
- Just a reminder that registration for our Winter Enrichment Session is open now through Thursday, December 8! We still have spots open in our Tuesday Chess Wizards class (1st-5th graders) and our Tuesday Stretch & Grow Yoga class (K-5th graders). For more information and registration instructions, visit our website!
- Learn gymnastics at DU! Kids from walking age to 12 years old can sign up for DU’s Gymnastics Playgroup here. Click here to see more info on their flyer!
Upcoming School Events
Click here to view the McKinley-Thatcher school calendar.
- Mon., 12/5 to Fri., 12/9 – December Food Drive (drop donations in the box in your child’s classroom!)
- Mon., 12/5 to Fri., 12/9 – Fall Book Fair (after school in our library!)
- Tues., 12/6 – Children’s Museum visits our ECE classrooms, 9:30am-10:15am
- Thurs., 12/6 – Winter Enrichment Registration CLOSES @ 10:00pm
- Tues., 12/13 – ECE-2nd Grade Field Trip: Randy Weeks Conservatory Theatre
- Tues., 12/13 – December CSC Meeting, 5:00pm, ONLINE via Google Meet
- Fri., 12/16 – Monthly School Value Assembly, 7:45am
- Mon., 12/19 to Tues., 1/3 – NO SCHOOL: Winter Break
- Weds., 1/4 – Classes resume!
Upcoming DPS & Community Events